Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Recap

Very busy this past weekend. Made a trip to Maryland on Friday for my wife's Aunt's 99th birthday. Saturday I took care of some chores around the house before heading up to West Virginia for a game of Twilight Struggle. Then Sunday it was back to Maryland to run my Zamunda game in the afternoon followed by a Dungeons and Dragons session. Got home around 1 am and spent Monday relaxing.

I can't praise Twilight Struggle enough. I love the theme for one thing. It's funny, I'm reading a book about Vietnam post WW2 through 1990, and I was just reading about the beginning of U.S. involvement there and what we were doing to de-stabilize the North and prop up the South, and I found myself picturing influence counters being placed on the Twilight Struggle map. But beyond the theme it's just so much fun to play. The back and forth between the two players is awesome. In the game we played Saturday, around turn 5 or so I was 1 victory point away from winning, but then Europe was scored and I was back down to like 12. By turn 8, I was at 10 or so points, but I was so far out of it in Europe that I realized that when the game ended and all of the regions would be scored, the Americans would have control of Europe which is an automatic victory. Then, I get dealt the Wargames card, which, when played as an event, allows the player to end the game as long as the Defcon level is at 2 and he gives his opponent 8 victory points. So basically I ended the game and won by two points. Great game.

I'll try and post an AAR of my Zamunda game later this week.

No comments: