Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Historicon 09

Best Historicon yet for me. The only bad game I was involved in was the one I ran on Thursday. I hit traffic on the way to Lancaster and arrived at the hotel about 50 minutes before my game was scheduled to start. I did luck out and got a parking space right by the door in the rear of the Distlefink ballroom so I was able to cart my stuff in pretty quick. Anyway, I have to say my heart really wasn't in running this game, so being late didn't put me in too good of a mood. Anyway, one of the guys who played was being a jerk, taking the game too seriously for what it was (It was a modern era skirmish game set in a fictional African country). I can't stand people who quibble over rules and stuff in a miniatures game. It'd be one thing if it was a tournament game but hosted games at cons should be about having fun and getting into the experience. Oh well, with that over I was able to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Played in a WRG game, which is really old school stuff. Fought a battle in Italy circa early 16th century. Really cool GM and the other players were great as well.

Played two games of Carnage and Glory, one of my favorite miniatures games. One of the games was run by Dave Bonk, and his games are like playing something out of the wargaming magazines. Fantastic miniatures and terrain. Tom Garnet ran the other game I played and that was a blast since everyone playing were people that I knew.

My favorite game of the convention though was on Saturday morning. Played a Command Decision Test of Battle game put on by Jake Strangeway. A great game that really sold me on how Command Decision makes you "feel" like you're wargaming World War 2. My friend Scott and I commanded some British paras, and we captured a key bridge and had to hold out until the armor arrived. If you've seen The Longest Day, think "Hold until relieved, hold until relieved." If you haven't seen it, go rent it.

Played some board games too. Taught my friend Kevin how to play Twilight Struggle, and played a game of Eketorp as well. Didn't get to play Fire and Axe, which was a shame. But, there's always Fall In!.

No comments: