Sunday, July 12, 2009

Fantasy Flight and Warhammer

A couple of weeks ago I saw that Fantasy Flight Games had announced Chaos in the Old World, a board game set in Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy Battles world. At first glance I figured this was some kind of adventure game similar to the World of Warcraft board game, but in fact it seems to be a strategy game where 3-4 players take on the role of one of the Chaos gods. I won't bother going into who they are, since I figure most people reading this either know them already or know how to use Wikipedia.

Anyway, I thought this was cool since Fantasy Flight had already taken over the Warhammer 40K rpg but hadn't announced any new games since getting the Games Workshop licence. A board game where you get to be one of the Chaos gods is one of the last things I would have expected.

Now they've also announced Warhammer Invasion, which is a "living card game." From what I gather that means it's like a collectible card game without the collecting. So I figure it's along the lines of Dominion, which I've played and liked, so for me a game like Dominion with the Warhammer theme sounds great. Thing is it's only two players but I played Dominion two player and it was fun.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Mike - "Deck Building" is the game in Dominion.

From what I gather of Living Card Games, you are getting a box of every card in the game, constructing decks (before the game, not part of it) and fighting each other in a traditional CCG manner. It's just that you don't have to take money and time to collect every card in the game.

Joe