Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Comics

Figured I eloborate on some comics I've been reading.

The newest one that I've gotten into is Doktor Sleepless. I think I saw an ad for the first collected volume in Previews (Previews is a big catalog filled with all the stuff that Diamond distributes, including all comic books) and thought it looked cool so I ordered it. It's better than I imagined it would be.

It does two things that really grabbed me. First, it touches on things I find interesting such as conspiracy theories and futurology. In fact, from the stuff I've read so far in this comic, Warren Ellis rivals William Gibson as a futurist. The other thing I really like about this comic is the way it puts the reader in the middle of this world and then slowly reveals what's going on as the story progresses. It doesn't tell you everything up front.

As for the other comics I've been reading, DC is ramping up for their big "Blackest Night" event. I'm looking forward to that mainly because it's Green Lantern-centric and I really like the GL story. I'm losing interest in the Superman titles. I'll probably cancel my subscriptions until they get different writers or go in a different direction. Same with Batman but I'm withholding judgement until the Batman and Robin title is released.

As always, Walking Dead remains the best comic being published.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Here's to the Walking Dead! I was three trade paper backs behind up until a could of weeks ago, I'm all caught up now (at least to the last TBP). It's been a major inspiration for the rpg I am running for my friends in NJ.

Joe