Sunday, November 16, 2008

Too Many Games?

My cup runneth over. I expanded my recently played list to 10 games.

Anyhow, thought I'd post the 5 games that I haven't played that I want to play the most:

The Devil's Cauldron
Here I Stand
Twilight Imperium
Descent
The Napoleonic Wars

There's certainly no guarantee that I'll play any of these games in the near future. I'd guess that the game that is the farthest out would be The Devil's Cauldron, since it seems pretty complicated and there's a lot of counters to punch out. I imagine of the above games Twilight Imperium is the most likely to be played next, but we'll see.

My 5 most anticipated games that haven't come out yet:

Burger Joint
Unhappy King Charles
Le Havre
Republic of Rome (Valley Games reprint)
Wars of the Roses

Of these Republic of Rome has to be the furthest away from being played, since it might not be released in this decade, if at all.

And, my list for out of print games that I really want to play:

Kremlin
Kingmaker
Raid on St. Nazaire
This Accursed Civil War

Finally, my list of games that I only want because they look pretty:

War of the Ring Collector's Edition
Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition
Samurai
Race the Wind (I also think this game looks like it would be fun to play

6 comments:

Marshall said...

I might have to quit smoking, drinking, and eating trash to be able to live long enough to play all of those games.

It might just be the motivation I need!

Great Post!

Joe said...

Mike,

If you are talking about Knizia's Samurai, it is more than just a pretty game. It's a very deep, great game. I have it if you'd like to try it out sometime.

Kremlin is another one on my list. You can find them on ebay but they usually end up around the $70 range.

Joe

Marshall said...

Not to try and out-do Joe, but I have both Samuari. The Good Docter's Version and the old MB GameMaster Version.

After reading through the rules to the Knizia version I decided it was too abstract for me. (Much like the way I fell about most of his games. T&E being a prime example).

As a matter of fact the only game of his I kinda like is Lost Cities.

But that's just me.

Michael Heagerty said...

Marshall,

Is the MB game you're talking about the one with all of the plastic figures?

Joe,

Didn't mean to say those games weren't any good other than for their looks, they're just games that I think are great looking games. I look forward to trying out Samurai. And I would LOVE to play Kremlin.

Marshall,

I know we're in a recession and all, but you're eating trash? Maybe if you stopped smoking and drinking you'd have money to get something decent to eat.

Joe said...

T&E is one of my favorite games. I am almost sure the one time we played it we botched the treasure grabbing rule and the game ended prematurely. I have logged many plays of it over the last couple of months online. It's a great game with smooth Eurogame mechanics that is rooted in direct conflict. Unlike many other "popular" euros it's not a game about econmics.

I've come to realize recently that games with a strong economic theme I really don't do very well at (although I still enjoy playing most of them). When I consider the games that I have listed in my top ten favorites on BGG, games that I kind of just selected natrually on gut instinct, there is only one that really has a direct economy element, and that is Colosseum.

Marshall you are exactly right about Samurai being very abstract, but I do like games like that sometimes, and I feel it fills a niche in my collection which is a kind of 4 player chess-like experience. But I might add that it is very good with two or 3.

Seems tough to get to the table though because Samurai and T&E are both 4 player games and I always have too many people.

Ok Mike, I'm done - sorry to highjack your blog with my own ramblings!

Marshall said...

This is why I love you guys, and love gaming with you guys. Open, honest, discussion.

I have also played Through the Desert, which I think is the last in the tile laying trilogy, if I'm not mistaken, and I didn' t care for that either. But thats just me.

And yes Mike, the one I'm talking about is the one with the plastic figures.