Friday, October 31, 2008

Kids' Games

On Tuesdays and Thursdays my wife works and my younger children are at the babysitter's so in the afternoon it's just me and my 7 year old, Gabriel. After homework (boring) we play (fun). He beat me in checkers and we tied in Hey That's My Fish!, but I did get a win in NHL 08.






Maybe I can get him to try Battlelore again next week. This time I'm going to set the game up before I even ask him. Last time he was all set to play but by the time I was done setting up the game he'd lost interest.

And he has pajamas on because it was wear pajama day at school.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Great photo, Mike, looks like a fun time. There's a deluxe Hey That's My Fish! coming out with nice little animated penguin minis.

Another one he might like is Fearsome Floors. My 4-year-old loves and can play it, even though the strategies are a little too much for her, but your boy would do fine at it. It's another "play against the game" game so there is some minor challenge.

How does he like checkers? Have you tried chess with him? Been thinking about seeing if my daughter can handle it, at least teach her how to set up and how each piece moves differently. I have hear people recommend to skip checkers and go right to chess but I am not so sure about that.

Michael Heagerty said...

He likes checkers, and he beat me last time we played. And he won fair and square, at least I think he did since I wasn't paying too much attention since I don't really like checkers.

He's been asking about chess lately because there's this dumb commercial for something called Bendarooz on Nickelodeon. Bendarooz are these strips that kind of look like pipe cleaners without the fuzz and they come in a bunch of different colors and you can stick them on paper to make a picture or twist them together to make sculptures. One of the things the commercial says is "you can play games like Wizard Chess!!!!!!" and they show this pretty intricate chess set depicting wizards made out of Bendarooz. I told Gabe I'd teach him to play chess but I'm not buying Bendarooz.