Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Song of Ice and Fire

I started reading the Game of Thrones series back in the Fall of 2011. I had tried to start the series several times since I first had heard of it back in the mid-nineties, but always stopped a few pages into Game of Thrones, the first book. Admitedly, when I first came across the books it was on some Internet message board, and they were generally portrayed as being equal if not superior to Lord of the Rings. So I guess I had high expectations when I started reading, and to me the prose was nowhere near as good as Tolkien's.

Well, fast forward to last year, and Game of Thrones was just so much in the zeitgeist I decided to try again, for real this time. As in I actually bought the book from Costco instead of just reading a copy in the book store. This time I actually read the first chapter, and once I got to the part with the direwolves, in particular the part with Jon Snow, I thought to myself, this is really good.

It's not Lord of the Rings, and what I mean by that is that it isn't as good as Lord of the Rings, but that's ok. It's the first book in a long time that I've had trouble putting down. Which is good, since George R.R. Martin seems to make each book in the series longer than the last.

No comments: