Saturday, September 10, 2011

Is it 1988?

When I was 16 I had a friend named David who both really smart (his SAT scores were like the 4th highest in the state of MD) and had all kinds of cool stuff, probably due to the fact that his parents were divorced. I was very envious of him since he had a computer and a cd-changer, the kind that had a magazine that you loaded. I can still picture him playing The Bard's Tale while listening to Love and Rockets. You see, I loved computer games long before I ever owned a computer, and only had a cd player, that, you know, didn't have a bad-ass magazine that you could load with 6 cd's. (Speaking of computer games, I used to drool over this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpBoI9r5e1k at this computer store in Reisterstown)

Anyway, I've been checking out the site http://www.gog.com/ for awhile now, and I finally downloaded something, Ultima IV. Mainly because it was free. I won't go into my experience with this game here, but it really got me thinking about Dave and his cd-changer. Well, wouldn't you know that Amazon.com had a Pioneer 6-disc magazine changer in stock. I came SO CLOSE to buying it, but in the end I couldn't justify spending $100 more than the Sony carousel model just to get the magazine. Especially since I wasn't even sure if the Pioneer had an optical output (from what I read the model was designed in 1997).

So here I sit listening to my Sony 5 disc cd-changer, feeling very early 90's, and loving every minute of it. And no, I'm not listening to Loverboy. Right now these are the discs I have loaded:

Carcass - Symphones of Sickness (2008 reissue)
Dio - The Last in Line
Immmortal - Battles in the North
Rush - Moving Pictures
Motorhead - Ace of Spades

No comments: