Monday, December 15, 2008

End of the Year

With Christmas and New Years behind me, I was thinking back on the year that's just ended. The one constant in the universe is change, and a lot has changed since this time last year. So much so that I'm thinking that maybe I'm remembering things incorrectly. The biggest change is that I have 3 kids now instead of 2. That I'm pretty sure of.

It's hard to believe that at this time last year I had only played maybe 5 or 6 boardgames in the previous couple of years. Now, it's my primary gaming outlet, even more so than video/computer games (with the noble exception of Worldwide Soccer Manager). A quick count at BoardGameGeek has me having played 71 games in 2008. Maybe 5 of them were miniatures, the rest being boardgames. And it was probably more since I didn't start using that site until June.

I'm not necessarily singing the praises of boardgames though. I'm not saying that since I've discovered boardgames I've decided to give up miniatures, because I haven't. I think the main reasons I've been playing so many boardgames is that the people I live near now play them they don't require as big of a commitment as miniature gaming does.

Boardgames also look cool, as I've stated before.

4 comments:

Marshall said...

The people you live near look cool?......

Yes I would concur. At least one of them looks cool.

That guy from Martinsburg. What's his name.

Joe said...

I am in the same boat. I always have the draw back to miniatures. For the past couple of months my modeling shelf has been messing. Through Nov. and December I was doing some zombie skirmishing testing out Ambush Z. I managed to kick out 7 gased masked zombie contianment team members and 10 zombies (all from Eureka). That was all the painting I did the entire year.

Then I caught the starship minis bug and packed up the zombies. Since last week I have been scratch-building starships from leftover Tau and IG bits - I managed to kick out 16 ships! Started priming last night.

There is definate a coolness allure to mini gaming, and the tactical level combat detail that I am yet to experience in any boardgame.

Marshall is also cool.

Marshall said...

It must be something about the seasons as I have been itching to paint mini's again.

I recently pulled all of my painting/sculpting supplies out of the garage, only to find that my paint pots have dried up.

Maybe we all need to settle on some form of generic mini's rules (do they even exist? If not let's make a fortune) similar to what GRUPS does for RPG's.

I see this post has already generated many more responses than your soccer (football?) post, so that 'ought to tell you something.

I'm just sayin'

Michael Heagerty said...

Did you know that the word "soccer" comes from "associaton football?"

Marshall is as cool as a warm summer's day.

I'm painting Skaven for Warhammer Fantasy Battle. Probably be finished sometime in 2012.