Monday, September 22, 2008

Books

Went to Ocean City, MD (my favorite place on Earth) this past weekend. Lousy time for the most part (cold, windy weather and had to take my oldest son to the ER), but, I started reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy Friday afternoon. I got the book as a gift from my mom last Christmas, but with all of the other dumb stuff that I do I hadn't read it. Actually, I also got Six Frigates from my Uncle, and I haven't read that yet either. AND, I got World War Z the Christmas BEFORE last, and I haven't read THAT yet either. But I will.

Anyway, I finished The Road Saturday afternoon. Granted, it's only 250 pages, but I just couldn't stop reading it. Obviously I did stop reading to do stuff like take care of my children, but even then the book occupied my mind.

A very disturbing and upsetting read. However, very touching too. I recommended it to a friend of mine who is Mormon, and he half-jokingly asked if it was uplifting to the spirit. I said it certainly was (and it is).

So now my most anticipated movie is The Road which is scheduled for limited release in November. I couldn't believe it when I searched the Web for the book title when I got home in order to read others' opinions of the book that there was a film version coming out. It's funny, but the last movie I saw was No Country for Old Men, based on another of McCarthy's books.

Anyway, highly recommended.

4 comments:

Joe said...

Mike,

I had the same experience reading The Road. I couldn't put it down the weekend I got it. It's been well over a year now since I read it and images from the book still pop into my mind. WWZ was also a great read, and will give you tons of zombie mini gaming inspiration.

Joe

Michael Heagerty said...

Joe,

Did you know there's a movie coming out this year?

Joe said...

I had heard of a movie, but I didn't realize it was near completion until I read you blog.

I see you are reading The Walking Dead also. Another one of my favorites and the only comic book I read. I wait every couple of months for the TPB's to come out. Awesome series. I just love the concept of and un-ending survival horror story line.

Michael Heagerty said...

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask you if you had heard of The Walking Dead. It's not the only comic I read, but it is hands down my favorite.